Solid Oak Drinks Cabinet / Storage Cupboard
Superb 1920s/30s Tall Boy. Solid Oak – Restyled into a Cocktail Cabinet with an Art Deco & Boho Surprise Inside.
Circa 1920s/30s Oak Cabinet restyled by Chalk & Grain into a unique drinks cocktail cabinet, however, it could be used for any storage from linen cupboard to office supplies and everything in between!
Made by Bickers & Co ltd. Dewsbury, this beauty of a piece has been restored and restyled to have a neutral yet modern boho twist on it’s original Art Deco features, inside & out!
Following my usual steps of thorough cleaning, sanding & priming I then set to work with getting creative:
• The original flared drop handles on the cupboard doors were cleaned and polished keeping some of their patina charm. The original drawer handles had already been replaced at some point so I updated these with new polished copper pulls, complimenting the finish on the original cupboard handles.
• The drawer fronts have been hand painted with Silk Mineral Paint (Saltwater).
• The insides of the drawers have been revived with hempseed oil.
• The main body has been treated and sealed with Fiddes Hardwax Oil (white) to give it a slight white washed look whilst protecting the wood grain against spills, grime, and wear & tear. It also gives the wood grain a gorgeous subtle sheen.
• The oak veneer marquetry on the front of the cupboard doors has been stained white to highlight the lovely curves and sealed with Fiddes Hardwax Oil.
• Inside the cupboard is where the party gets started!! The inside of the doors have continued the art deco theme with a modern twist of colour. The original finish on these doors was a plain dark stain, so I painted them white, masked out my design and hand painted the teal & coral colours with a chalk mineral paint and sealed with a clear top coat for durability.
• The colour theme of the doors is continued into the cupboard to compliment the faux pink marble liner, new wooden trim & succulent decoupage on the new internal back panel. This new panel was made from repurposed hardboard from my beloved camper van. I have left a hidden message to explain it’s adventures and travels in the hope that another furniture restorer can find it 100 years from now!
• I have also retained pencil markings from the original craftsman who built this piece…they are a surprise for the new owner to find and admire. The makers brass label is still attached to the back of this piece and I have given it a good polish whilst retaining it’s patina.
Please visit my social media pages for more info around the wonderful history I was able to research about Bickers & Co, and for more photos of this piece including progress pics and ‘before & afters’.
I am a true romanticist when it comes to furniture revival & refinishing. I take great care to retain any marks of history, wear & tear, provided they do not affect the structural integrity or serviceability of a piece, allowing the quirky character and bespoke individuality of each piece to shine through…..We all have our flaws and imperfections, that’s what makes us beautifully unique!
So, I have to be honest, if you are searching for something new and mass-produced then I’m pretty confident my creative, one-of-a-kind furniture is not what you’re looking for. I would rather be open & honest and I’m always happy to send additional photos or videos of my pieces if you would like more info.
Free delivery is included. Please see my T&Cs for more info.
Ready to ship in 2-3 weeks
Delivery is arranged through trusted furniture couriers and is estimated to take place within 3 weeks of your order being placed (excluding custom orders, for custom orders, once the piece is finished delivery is then arranged), but can often be much quicker. The drivers contact you directly to confirm date and time of delivery. This service usually requires the customer's assistance to unload into your home, however, for an additional cost we can arrange for a two person delivery.
Delivery to mainland UK is included in my prices. If you are outside the mainland there will be an additional charge for delivery. Please contact me with your postcode for a delivery price, which is to be agreed before ordering.
Due to Covid 19 and in response to government legislation, the drivers we use are Covid-19 secure and will deliver adhering to social distancing where possible.
I hope that you will be delighted with your purchase but if for any reason you are not happy with your order please contact me so we can resolve any issues. I value all feedback, particularly as a small independent business, which is why my focus is on my customer's satisfaction.
Returns are accepted. Please contact Chalk & Grain within 3 Days of delivery.
Returned items must be received back within 21 days of delivery & shipping costs are to be paid by the customer (unless item is faulty).
Any returns need to be undamaged & wrapped in the same protective packaging.
- Store Name: Chalk & Grain
- Vendor: Chalk & Grain
- No ratings found yet!
I hope that you will be delighted with your purchase but if for any reason you are not happy with your order please contact me so we can resolve any issues. I value all feedback, particularly as a small independent business, which is why my focus is on my customer’s satisfaction.
- Returns are accepted. Please contact Chalk & Grain within 3 Days of delivery.
- Returned items must be received back within 21 days of delivery & shipping costs are to be paid by the customer (unless item is faulty).
- Any returns need to be undamaged & wrapped in the same protective packaging.
PLEASE NOTE: I am unable to accept returns on any custom design orders, unless they arrive damaged or defective. However, I’m sure any issues can be promptly resolved. I ask that you contact me as soon as possible to discuss.